Sunday 18 January 2015

Initial Sampling

Following my tutorial at the beginning of the week I found that my drawing using ink and water was one of the more successful ones, and that I should use this as one of my main processes in producing more drawings. Taking this advice on board I began my week by producing more of these but on a much larger scale. I also used different tools. Below are a couple of photographs of drawings done in this way.













I found the bigger scale to be a more successful way of working for me; especially with ink and water, where different parts of the drawing can be affected differently.

It was also discussed that as it was now the 5th week of this unit, I should start looking into which fabrics have the qualities I need to begin sampling with. As I have been looking at folding and relief, I began researching thick materials that were capable of holding a fold such as stiff cottons and plastics. I have worked with plastic in previous units so was keen to work with it again. I've used a material that has been pre-processed giving it a 'plasticy' feel, as well as making my own, using bin bags and an iron to produce large sheets of it.

Having looked at folding in previous weeks and producing some 3D pieces using paper, I wanted to replicate these ideas as well as incorporate my drawings into some large scale sampling, with the plastic I had bought and processed myself. the photos below show two samples where I have done this.







Although I am happy with how these both turned out, I am aware that the stiffness in colour does not link well with my drawings. This is something that I want to work on over the next couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment