Saturday 18 October 2014

Initial Drawings

This week (week 2) I explored the ideas of buildings and other building structures further. I took another trip back into the city to revisit the areas I found the most interesting. I started with some quick on-the-spot and blind drawings and mark making. Photographed below are pages from my initial drawings sketchbook.



experimenting with mark making




building and building structure drawings



This second week I found it difficult to develop my ideas further. I think I also found it difficult to move away from working in a small sketchbook which was probably holding me back from exploring other ideas. However I do really like the work I have done based around buildings so hope to later find inspiration to incorporate it again.

Beginning week 3 I started looking back at the other photographs I had taken and found an interest in mark making and the irregularities on surfaces in an urban environment. So I began by doing a couple of drawings from my photographs and some on-the-spot. This gave me the chance to get the birds eye view perspective that I had found interesting when it was suggested to the group at the beginning of the unit. However, I found this to be limiting in being able to develop the idea ambitiously. At this point I was feeling quite uncertain and unsure about how I was going to progress in this unit; but carried on doing more drawings inspired by the areas of the city I was interested in.

Following my tutorial, it was suggested that I add some colour into my drawings and so far they have all been black and white. I talked about exploring the idea of graffiti as a man-made mark on a surface. This was not only development of work I had done earlier in the week on mark making but was also introducing sparks of colour. I was starting to feel more confident about the direction of my work.


No comments:

Post a Comment