Sunday 25 January 2015

Progression of Ideas

This week I have taken my attention away from one of my initial ideas of folding and material manipulation, and have begun to focus more closely on the couple of images I liked most from my 'Earth from the air' book. I have looked into ways of reinterpreting these into samples.

After selecting the photographs I liked the most, I printed them out onto cartridge paper so that I could look at them side by side. In the last unit my colour palette resulted from low ink in my printer; the same has happened this unit where the low ink levels have resulted in the images taking a new appearance. I quite like the way these have worked out and am considering the possibility of using these in the same way as I did in my previous unit, for my colour palette. One of my ideas in a previous post, about how I am interested in irregular pattern links well to this idea of irregular/unusual colour; which is something I'd be quite interested in exploring. However, I am still experimenting with my ideas at this stage and feel it isn't the right time to be introducing colour to my sampling. Below are a selection of these images.



       
             The Hodna Mountains under snow, Algeria      Lumber Yard in Port-Gentil, Gabon




                                             Dyers' Workshops and Vats in Fez, Morocco


I decided the way I was going to start working this week was by selecting one of the images above and use it to produce some more drawings; in the same style as before. As well as to begin sampling again.

Using the image of the lumber yard in Gabon I produced a large sample. I liked the idea of looking for the threadlike qualities in the image; which is what inspired me to make this sample. As had been suggested to me before, I processed the material (hessian) before using it. I painted it all over with white matt emulsion paint and let it dry before cutting it up. I really enjoy reprocessing bought materials and being able to bring out different qualities that you can get from them. I produced long ribbons that consisted of varying lengths of rolled hessian stitched down the centre (photographed below).





I really like the monotonous colour in this sample. I feel that it links well with the drawings I have done previously. I also like that in some parts, the emulsion paint is more intense which I can also see in my drawings.

Although I have now begun sampling, I am still with the mindset of producing drawings that have qualities I can incorporate into my samples. After my tutorial on Monday, I have started experimenting with shape. Looking at the photographs I took in my visual research stage of the unit, I selected ideas from these to inspire me further. Rather than looking at large areas of shape i.e. skylines and buildings; I've decided to focus on surface pattern, looking at pavements and roads and the irregular shapes and patterns in these, still working in the same way with ink and water. Photographed below are a selection of these.



No comments:

Post a Comment