Sunday 1 February 2015

Experimenting with the Cornelli

This week I've been looking back over some of the drawings I have done since the beginning of this unit, to help inspire me to produce more samples. One quite recent drawing caught my attention whilst looking at the photograph of the lumber yard in Gabon. Although it is quite an abstract recreation of the image, I wanted to bring forward the thread-like quality I like from the photo in the form of a continuous, irregular line.





In first year embroidery I was inducted onto the Cornelli machines. It is one of my favourite machines and can produce amazing pieces and samples, however I never managed to harness the control you need with it. I was determined this year to master it. Looking at my drawing above, I could imagine the Cornelli recreating this long continuous line. Below are a couple of photographs of the results from my Cornelli experimentation. 




In the future I think I would like to create some samples using the finer chain stitch machines to give a more refined finish, as I feel that the heavy chain stitch can be quite bulky. I would also consider combining to the two, to balance the heavy and fine stitches.

No comments:

Post a Comment