Sunday 15 February 2015

Artist Inspiration

Marit Fujiwara

The use of fold and relief in her work is what I was initially drawn to. I like that she has not only created a raised material but has also incorporated a flat embellished ground. The work of Marit Fujiwara really interested me more at the beginning of the unit when I was still focused on building a surface using folding and stiff materials that hold a fold. Although my work has now taken a different direction, the influence of her work on me still has relevance in terms of relief and embellishment.






Eva Bellanger and Emilio Nanni

I find that I can easily relate to both of these artists as they use ink in their work. In Eva Bellanger's work I particularly like the drawn qualities in her mark making in her pattern designs (photographed below left). I also like the use of repetition in her mark making, especially where the lines are irregular and imperfect. These are the qualities I have created in my own drawings and in my sampling. This is also seen in the work of Emilio Nanni. This piece photographed below right is what I have also achieved in my own work. I like the simplicity of the design in this particular piece and the use of water on just small sections. This is something I hadn't really thought of in great detail; that is only applying water to smaller areas of my drawings and samples rather than all over. It is something that I would like to potentially experiment with in the remainder of this unit or to take forward as an idea to future units.


No comments:

Post a Comment