Tuesday 18 February 2014

Knitting - weeks 4, 5, 6

Knitting has by far been the part of the course I have been most looking forward to. however, again it did not turn out as I expected. From a young age I was taught to hand knit by my Grandma and this has been something I have enjoyed doing since then. However, I found that with machine knitting you don't get the same enjoyment and satisfaction when you complete a piece.

It was a very surprising discovery for me that I didn't enjoy this 'textile world' as much as I had expected to. From this I have learnt about myself that it isn't so much the final outcome that I love so much about knitting (the same for weaving); its more about the process and the actual creating that I enjoy and that attracts me to this part of textiles so much. I like the idea of being able to manipulate a single yarn with only your hands (no machine) in order to make something quite interesting.

plain knit with colour change based on a drawing from my sketch book



plain knit with tension change and deliberate hole making

No comments:

Post a Comment