Wednesday 19 February 2014

PE Task 2

I have found the first half of this term at university challenging on completing the 'sampling' unit. Although, I feel I have learnt an awful lot more having been so new to the equipment we have been using. Even though I have enjoyed my time in the 'construct textile world', I feel that I was out of my comfort zone compared to last term being in embroidery. I am glad however that I had the confidence to try something I was almost completely new to and give it my all. The last 6 weeks have been very intense with the amount of skills I have learned. I would say I prefer knit over weave, however with time, practice and patience I'm sure I could grasp weave quite well. These short 6 weeks I feel are not a brilliant representation of my best ability. And the things I could accomplish with more time would show this.

I primarily had a colour palette of varying shades of blue; however as I progressed through the project I injected some different colours to this palette also.






Throughout the data project i have been researching artists and their work. I have found that Jan McGarry’s work to be one of the most relevant artists to the work that I am currently doing. She works in a linear way; especially in this piece titled ‘Africa in Stitch’. With the 'world' that I have been in for the past 6 weeks that is ‘construct’; I found it very difficult of venture away from creating samples of my own in this way, due to the methods and machines we were using. I found these quite restrictive at times for the types of things that I had wanted to do. Although at this stage in my learning in this unit I feel that this is the way it is bound to be; but with time would progress.

I found that Jan McGarry really influenced my work in the minimalistic lines that she uses; especially in this piece. Even in the way I have subtly created lines in a knit sample which involves the use of only one yarn colour, however changing the knit tension gives this interesting effect when looked at from afar.


Jan McGarry - 'Africa in Stitch'


No comments:

Post a Comment