Monday 17 March 2014

Mood Board, Initial Ideas and Samples

Following the trip Blackpool Pleasure Beach, I created a mood board displaying the colour palette I would use as the basis for this unit and the areas I found most inspiring. 




I chose to focus on bright reds, blues and yellows and white. However in some parts in my drawings and sampling, I have removed the presence of yellow as I felt it made my work too busy and exaggerated.

I initially started looking at the rides at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, and the shapes that were made by the crossing over of the metal posts. I have enjoyed working in a linear way in the past, however, I felt that this was making my work quite regimental and stiff in this project, especially with the loom weaving.





 I wanted to display movement in the samples that I produced. So I began looking into the costume archive of Blackpool Pleasure Beach in the photos I had taken. I found one costume that was particularly interesting. This was the costume for the lead role in one of the 'Hot Ice' shows performed there. Working with this as a starting point, I was more inspired as to where I'd like to take my sampling from there.




Below is a snap shot of one of the double pages in my sketchbook. Here is displayed my progression work from looking at the photo (above) of the costume detail. I worked with acrylic paints to create the base colours. I particularly like the page on the left where I have used the mix of colours in my colour palette to put down a base on which to work. However, I also quite like the simplicity of the page opposite. Especially focusing on the negative space rather than the positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment