Saturday 10 May 2014

Final Piece

Using the images in my previous post, which show various shoulder padded clothing items by different designers, I created my own pair of shoulder pads. I used the ideas from my sampling and my sketchbook work to influence my this piece.

This final week was leading up to the production of a collection of samples or one final piece that is based around accessory design; using stitch, weave or both. However, I wanted to be more hands on with the work I was to produce at the end as I felt the machines and looms were limiting my samples. So I used some hand stitches and knots to hold the yarns and materials into place; and I felt this made the final outcome more successful.

Below shows a couple of photographs of my piece from the front and the back.


front view

       back view          

My final piece was created by developing my braided sample. I used longer lengths of thicker yarns and materials, which I then painted with only emulsion paint to make them more supple and easier to manipulate. I made two of these identical to one another, one for each shoulder pad. I then inserted wire into sections of each shoulder pad to give each a stronger structure. Finally I connected the pads at the back by hand stitching (ladder stitch) one edge to the other to hold them together but leaving the back open.

     close up

 side view 1

side view 2


No comments:

Post a Comment