Monday 8 September 2014

Summer work: Inspirations

Over the summer I have found inspiration for my work through the places I visited. I spent two weeks in Antigua which I found to have much for me to work from. It was even more inspiring than my visit to Brighton for a couple of days.

Initially, I am always drawn to areas and photographs with bold, bright colours as they attract my attention. The carnival in Antigua was like nothing I had ever experienced before. The streets were filled with locals in costume, dancing to the carnival music playing off the large floats. Each costume was made by hand. I particularly liked this section (photographed below). I love how busy the photo is; filled with vibrant colour and texture.

Carnival - Antigua

I also went on a trip to Brighton towards the end of the summer. I love all the quirky little shops down all the lanes. Again I was attracted to the bright colours here and bought this skewer filled with different marshmallows. All the odds and ends I picked up whilst I was there I found very useful for this summer brief. Particularly the last photograph in this post.

Bought in Brighton

Whilst in Brighton I visited a shop called "Snoopers Paradise". It was filled with everything you could imagine; from old toy cars to vintage milk bottles. Unfortunately I was not allowed to take photos whilst I was in there. However I did purchase a couple of the photographs that were on sale. This was something I found very interesting. These were photographs that had just been discarded or had been removed from a house clearance.I found the idea of this very odd but I spent a while sifting through the boxes filled with these photos. I particularly liked looking at the different landscapes. So I bought a couple to use to inspire me with my work.

Old photo bought from a hoarders shop in Brighton

No comments:

Post a Comment