Sunday 23 November 2014

Evaluation

In this unit I found it quite difficult to find an area in my initial drawings and visual research that I wanted to develop further. However, throughout this difficult process I have learnt a lot about myself and the way I work. From previous units it has been clear that I am very comfortable using a monochrome colour palette but this unit I wanted to challenge myself by introducing colour and being able to produce a refined colour palette.

I feel like this challenge was a success and that I incorporated my chosen colours well into my drawings and samples. I would have liked to have challenged myself further by creating samples on a much larger scale, however with little time left at the end of this unit I felt these may have been too time consuming to complete.

Given more time this unit, I would also have loved to have made more use of the Ethos computerised machine program. My induction for this was timetabled quite late on in the term and so only had a couple of weeks to try out different designs for myself. With the machine in high demand, it was quite a challenge booking a slot. However, given the opportunity, I would have liked to experiment with different designs of my own, with different materials that hold dye better than others, and also seeing what effect this has on the final outcome when the design is applied on top. I will keep this in mind for future work.

Despite the difficulties I experienced at the start, and the things I was hoping to do towards the end, I still feel that this unit has been a successful one for me. I have particularly loved combining different 'hand processes' with machine stitch as well as using each separately. Photographed below are a couple of boards displaying some of my final successful samples.




No comments:

Post a Comment