Saturday 22 November 2014

Finalising samples

This week has been about finalising and choosing my 6-8 final samples. After my last tutorial this week I was confident that I knew how to proceed, ass well as knowing the strengths and weaknesses in my sampling i.e. what needed to be developed.

Last week I focused very strongly on producing mainly black and white samples. I now needed to introduce my colour palette. Through looking back in my sketchbook for inspiration I noticed a particular drawing I did using crayons that created a similar effect to the embellisher when using thin yarns. I could also see similarities between these two and the work of Cy Twombly. In this unit my work has shown quite a few similarities to his. I have been very inspired buy the way he works, and the marks he creates. As a new sample idea I combined the type of mark he makes with the similar marks I have made in my drawings. I was very pleased with the outcome of this. After creating these marks I then combined another of my drawing with this; couching geometric window shapes over the top.

thin yarn embellished onto dyed cotton, thick black
 wool couched on top (design from drawings)




'Returning from Tonnicoda'

Regardless of the differing colours, I really like the drawing quality of his work. It was this aspect that was the inspiration to produce the sample above.

No comments:

Post a Comment