Wednesday 20 November 2013

Drawing Days - October/November

To improve our drawing and to make us think about the composition of our drawings, we have the opportunity to attend a 'drawing day' every Friday. 
They have introduced me to new materials and media such as Designer Gouache as well as working on already made surface like magazine pages, envelopes, napkins. 
We have done a variety of tasks over the past few weeks; including, focusing on colour and tonal ranges; this was our first drawing day task where we had to follow a series of instructions that we had to interpret independently. 

We also had a task whereby we worked from a collection of different shoes as a single object; 

3 minute drawing of a collection of shoes without looking at the page


5 minute drawing of the negative space of the collection of shoes




  The above photo is of one of the tasks given to us. Looking at an object with sentimental value and using the emotions attached to it to create collage representing it. I chose a bracelet I was given by my Grandma before she passed away this April, which is very special to me. The final drawing Friday consisted of taking an object that can be deconstructed and deconstruct it into its key components (eg a kinder egg toy). Using these pieces we had to invent a series of drawing tools to make marks; and doing this by using the verbs in the vocabulary list provided. We then had to use these fragments again and create a 3D drawing by using assembly techniques to join the components and produce a new structure.

I found the Friday Drawing Days quite intriguing. At first I expected to be only doing observational drawings/still life to improve our attention to detail and to show us how drawing with different media can change the effect and outcome of a piece. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I went to the first session. I have enjoyed being set different tasks each week and expanding my creative knowledge; learning to think about the different ways to express myself through 'drawing'.

No comments:

Post a Comment