Monday 18 November 2013

Machine Stitch Samples

I am definitely finding it easier to create a collection of successful samples in this part of the embroidery 'world'. I have enjoyed learning about the different machine feet and the variety of ways they can be used in different techniques.
On Tuesday 5th November we learnt how to couch a thread or yarn using a cording foot as well as experimenting with the different pre-set stitches on the machines. We also had to think about not only the stitch being created on the fabric, but the way you would incorporate this when using a patterned fabric. For example, working with the pattern to create a new pattern and almost a new fabric all together.
We then went away and did a series of samples incorporating all of these things that we'd been shown.
Couching on black material with black ribbon and white thread

We then came back the next Tuesday (12th) to discuss as a whole group which of our samples worked, which ones had potential and could be developed, and which ones 'were a disaster'. I found this to be very useful as the constructive criticism gave me confidence that the samples I felt didn't work were ones that I could develop easily for them to be more successful. 

Tuesday 12th November we were introduced to a selection of new machine feet (zipper and tailor tacker foot). I really enjoyed using these feet, especially the tailor tacker. Experimenting with the different things you can do to change the look of the stitch. I think I prefer this one because I really like the raised surfaces that this produces and the textures that are made; especially when thread scissors are used to manipulate the original appearance of the stitch.
I have produced a series of samples incorporating the machine feet we learnt about. 2x using only the zipper foot, 2x using the tailor tacking foot, 1x using a combination of hand stitch and hair pinning, 1x using a combination of hand stitch and tailor tacking, and 1x a combination of tailor tacking and hair pinning. All of the samples I've done so far have been done primarily in black and white, or with a monochrome pallet. This has meant that I can concentrate more on the technique and design of each sample and the composition rather than the colour.
Tailor tacking foot then pulling the top thread out

Hair pinning using the zipper foot overlapping the hair pin with the previous 


Tailor tacking foot but this time leaving the top thread in


Tuesday 19th November we looked at the techniques that can be used using machine feet to create different patterns and the different ways in which they can be manipulated. We were introduced to the double needled foot; which comes in 3 different sizes that are used to give different effects. I would say this foot has been the most complicated to master; but i really love the outcome produced from it. I like the way it makes different weighted fabrics curl and pin tuck differently. This week we have been asked only to produce a series of 7-10 samples. These could be done by any means, with at least one of them being done using cold water dissolvable fabric, and one using bondaweb for a collage effect.

Double needled foot looking at the back

Double needled foot looking at the front

Out of all the new feet I've been introduced to in this half of the 'embroidery world' I would say the tailor tacker and the pin tuck feet were my favourite. Despite finding the pin tuck foot sometimes difficult to use, I liked the challenge as well as the finished product when i had spent time on my samples.

No comments:

Post a Comment