Sunday 10 November 2013

Hand Stitch Samples

To begin with I found it difficult to get started with making a collection of samples from the 16 chance cards. Since year 7 I have been used to being given/choosing a topic or starting point at which to base my samples and research on.
So I have been working outside my comfort zone so far. However, I am open to new ideas and different ways of working, and once I got started finding different artists that influenced me and picked my favourite drawings to work from I found it easier to come up with ideas for samples; developing them further photocopying and different materials and media to change the outcome.

Over the past 3 weeks I have been using the stitches I've been taught shown in my previous post to create a series of samples that have been influenced by my chance card drawings. I developed these initial samples further by creating my own instruction to take my work in another direction. Using the black and white photocopier gave my samples a tonal effect not seen previously. These were then used and hand stitched on top of, further abstracting the idea from the drawings in my sampling.
This is something I have really enjoyed over these weeks; developing a single idea from the drawings in the first weeks, and changing them into something that looks quite different to the initial idea. 

These 3 weeks have resulted in a series of 20 samples, developing them further each week. Not only did I use a single drawing, I combined multiple ideas stemmed from different drawings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment